Sunday, May 16, 2004

The holiday with my family has been and gone.

I wanted to post during this time to tell you what we got up to. Being more exciting than my “normal” life I thought it would be more interesting. But unfortunately during this time my computer couldn’t get on the net anymore!!! How frustrating!!!

Computers; I cant live with them, cant live without them!

As a sort of after thought I can tell you we had a great 11 days together. I did all sorts of things I normally wouldn’t do, that’s the beauty of being tourist guide.

The weather was really very good. It only rained 2 of the 11 days which I think is a very good score considering the time of year. The temperature was good too, but for New Zealanders it could have done with being a little warmer on the rainy days. I found myself walking next to a family of shivering “Michelin” people, thicker cloths than I was wearing, they completed the look with ski gloves and head gear. Ha, ha, ha.

We went to the snake zoo that was harder to find than expected. But we found it in the end and I was amazed to see how big the differences are between all the species of snakes. I will never see them as “just snakes” again. I understand the fascination people can have with them and the urge to keep them. Although I couldn’t do this myself as Id always feel so claustrophobic at seeing such a beautiful animal is such a small enclosure.

We spent a day in Amsterdam where a friend of mine showed us the way. Took a boat ride though the canals which any self respecting tourist has to do. We walked though the busy Amsterdam streets, nearly freaking out my nephews who hate crowds. And we went to “Madam Tussaud’s wax Museum” which at first glance didn’t strike us as going to be much fun. We were very surprised how much fun it turned out to be. Although it may have cost as a few years off our lives (you’ll have to go for yourself to understand what I mean as I don’t want to ruin the surprise) it was fun.

We spent an afternoon in a small fun park that was still very quiet as the school holidays hadn’t started. We could go in everything without waiting, stay sitting if we wanted to go again and just generally really enjoy ourselves. Dora, my sister in law, and I laughed so much. We took the rides together so we could do the laughing girly thing without the teenage boys comments and embarrassed looks ha, ha, ha. Erik, my brother, was fun. He was just as thrilled as us girls only with less of the giggling. Being older is so much fun, you can admit something was fun or scary because we don’t have to look cool for others. The rollercoaster there was fun but not such a big one as we new we were going to ride in a week later….. Dora was talked into the small rollercoaster and enjoyed it. A real breakthrough for her!

So we went to the big “Six flags” park and I talked Dora into going into one of the first things we were to go on, the “Goliath” rollercoaster! Dear Dora I do hope you can forgive me for this!!!
This ride was the most terrifying ride Id ever been on!!!!! I had only ever experienced rollercoaster rides where you are strapped in on all sides and then get pushed into your seat by the G-forces. Well these sits were so tiny, just strapped in like in a plane with a seat belt over the legs and then an extra thick padded T thing was pushed into place above that. But nothing safe and comforting over the shoulders.
And off we went, pulled up the first and highest point at quite fast rate and then having the extra thrill (I’d call it handicap) that we were in the last carriage, we were flung over the top to experience the most death taking (yes death not breath) experience as it felt like we were thrown out of our seats and flying freely and about to die in a few seconds… Quite an experience! But we didn’t die and I held on like you wouldn’t believe and settled a little when I felt my chair again… and off to the small bump things at the end of the ride that looked very laughable when watching while waiting for our turn. I can tell you that these were possibly even scarier than the first drop!!! It’s a ride you wont forget fast.
Poor Dora, but she can feel very proud to say she rode on the “Goliath” and she is an experience richer that she never expected to have.
My nephews and brother wanted to go again and I went with them with the thought Id survived the first ride so maybe the second time would be more enjoyable. I guess it was in a warped way and near the end I even let go of the bar for a moment and stuck my arms in the air…ok only for a second after a lot of urging from my brother (who was really brave and let go at the first drop!), but I’m very proud of this second of release.
It was holiday time for the Dutch school kids that week so we didn’t get to go on all the rides. We still have things to look forward too the next time…

On the last day of the holiday we went to the 2nd world war museum in a place called Overloon. The weather suited the occasion. It was gray and wet. Never the less it was a very interesting place. I think I can speak for all of us if I say that we were very moved by it all. Common sense/knowledge tells you war is an awful thing, but after visiting the war museum you actually feel it, I mean really deep where it hurts. You are faced with and reminded by the raw facts that in your wildest imagination you’d never think could happen. I cant understand that people can do such atrocious things to each other, after all the human race still hasn’t learnt from its mistakes. I guess they never will. But its no excuse not to try to better the world with knowledge and hope for a miracle.

During the 2 weeks the dogs had a great time too, they got to stay with “oma” (grandma) and awful lot and be loved and spoiled lots more than usual. Tieka couldn’t believe her luck that some times at the end of the day I would come back with 2 nephews that would endlessly play the “pine-cone game” with her!!

We of course did lots of other things but I don’t want to make this too long…

Well I must post this before this is really outdated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home