Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Yesterday was Kiwi’s first day back at “dog school”.

We were unfortunate that the puppy class last season did not slot in nicely with the “A obedience class” this season. So Kiwi had a very long holiday between them meaning we have to do a lot of revising now…. Ok I should have trained in her holiday time but I admit I’m not such a fanatic. As long as my dogs do the basic things I’m pleased with them.

But I am a big believer of dog schools. Besides learning the basic obedience they learn so many social skills that are so much more important. It should be include in every dogs upbringing along with the city training, going to zoo’s, taking them to train stations, walking in busy parks, taking them to restaurants…. Well the list is endless.

So off we went to school with Vaglie and Kiwi. Tieka and Zanna had a nice peaceful evening at home.
First Vaglie had an hour fly-ball lesson. This was good for Kiwi as she learns to be alone waiting in the car. She is always accompanied by at least 1 Lagotto so this was totally new for her. At first she barked and barked but pretty soon she realised this wasn’t going to do her any good and she went quiet. Lesson one is learned!

Then I swapped Vaglie for Kiwi. Kiwi was waiting so nicely in the car. She controlled herself and waited till I attached her leash before coming out. I am very strict on this subject. My dogs are never aloud to jump out of the car before I tell them they can. Still it was a very cleaver thing to remember when your only 9 months old.

First I took her into the canteen. She was very happy to meet old friends and make new friends. She eagerly looked out of the windows at the classes that were training in the field outside, her tail wagging in anticipation.

And then finally it was her classes turn to join on the field. Straight away she and her class mates were straining on the leash to be able to play with each other. Something that is frowned upon, and rightly so as that is something they get plenty of during daily walks. But who can blame them ;-)
So we and our dogs stood around in rows waiting while each dog had their turn to follow on the leash etc.
Hmmmm needless to say this active rotten girl started to get bored and I could she her think “Well if we cant play then Ill try to catch mosquito’s”. And so she jumped meters high and you could clearly hear her mouth snap shut. Of coarse I held her back from doing this but she can jump so high just when you think she is relaxed and looking innocent.
And looking at the other classes that were doing much more interesting things like agility and fly-ball was good too…. “hmmm time to cry a little, maybe she’ll let me off the leash then so I can get on with playing”. Bad idea Kiwi and I would surprise her with a quick walk in an unexpected direction.
“pfffffff ok Ill just lay down and get mum believing I going to be good from now on”…. You can probably guess this was a short but affective plan and unsuspecting me was again pulled forward in her next attempt to catch mosquito’s.

But actually she did very well. Sat when I asked her to sit, laid down when asked to lay down and gave attention for more than anyone could expect for an independent Estrela mountain dog. I think she will settle down in the next few lessons and hopefully finish this “A obedience” group ok. Next season…. Well that maybe be difficult as then they have to retrieve and that is difficult with the best of breeds let alone with a Emd…

An hour of “Kiwi jumping” and fun and back to the car. Vaglie was pleased as punch to see us, drove home where Tieka and Zanna were sooooo pleased we were back and the family was complete again.

Btw Vaglie did very well doing fly-ball on her way hopefully to be able to be good enough to compete in competitions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home