Thursday, December 16, 2004

Zanna is feeding the puppies les and les. Down to 2 times a day now.

At night when I take my 3 dogs for their short last walk to do their “business” I put the puppies in the garden to do theirs too. It works really well, everyone is happy and ready for bed at the same time.

The puppies sleep downstairs in their whelping box while all the grown dogs sleep upstairs with me.

In the morning I go down with Zanna. First I open the back door ready for the rush, then I go into the lounge where there are 3 (last week 4) eager puppies waiting to be set free. I rip out the partition to allow the puppies out, run though the kitchen and outside while calling “Zanna” and “puppies” and all the puppies rush outside after Zanna. It really is a great system LOL.

Once outside Zanna stands still and lets them drink for about 5 minutes. Then she asks me to be let inside and the pups go their own way to do their “business”.
11-12 early morning feeding


This morning was the first time that Zanna didn’t come straight down with me. But by now the puppies are so used to running through the lounge and kitchen to get outside they followed me easily. They all did their wee and poepies in the garden, they really are ever so good.

And then I heard the back door creak open and there stood mama Zanna looking ever so pleased with herself that she had demonstrated her weaning skills…. Obviously she had decided she had let the kids wait long enough and came outside to feed them after all.

The pups are eating pretty much everything, just the harder bones are escaping their gnawing abilities for now. But each day their neck and chest muscles are growing from the work out they get from pulling off the meat, and jaws get stronger from the hard chewing they do on the bones.
15-12 Bono with bone


And now to shock you a little, the pups sometimes get dead one day old chicks. These dead chicks used to give me the creeps, but I’m nearly used to them now.
Actually my own dogs wont eat them… they think they are creepy too, although since the pups eat them Zanna has started to too. It started that she got hold of a half chewed chick off one of the pups. The pups are teaching the older dogs new tricks.
11-12 Nina with dead baby chicken


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home