Saturday, November 01, 2003

Hi Folks

Oh glorious fun, I can give you another gory story!!! Pity I don’t have a digital camera to just show you Ha ha ha.

Yesterday I went to pick up a crate of chicken carcasses, no big deal these days. But while I was busy putting them in to a big rubbish bag the poulterer (I think that is the English word for “chicken man”) started de-heading and de-legging some hares. As you can imagine any self respecting Barfer cant let such a unique chance go by so I asked if I could take all the heads and legs with me as well. Yes the fur was still on and the eyes still in place. I even got to take the innards home!!! Isn’t that wonderful he he he.

I came home with 4 rubbish bags, 2 with chicken carcasses, one with hare heads and legs and one with innards and skin with attached fur from the body. 2 years ago I would never of imagined that I would be doing such things, and now it’s nearly normal! How people change.

I started with bagging the chicken carcasses, I freeze everything in daily portions. All the time I’m busy, and that’s hours, the dogs patiently stand with me in the kitchen, only to rush to their baskets if I give them something and then return.

Since the bags were on the floor I could see the reaction of the dogs to the bags. Flecha was more interested in the chicken that I was busy with but Zanna was really sniffing the “hare bags” so I took out a leg to see what would happen. I put it on the floor in front of Flecha who gave it half a glance and left it as if it was beneath him to eat such a thing. But Zanna couldn’t believe her luck, such a yummy leggy and Flecha didn’t want it! She rushed under him, grabbed it and ran to her basket and finished it off.

Being the gruesome person that I am I wondered what she would think of a hare head so I got one out and put that in front of Flecha, and he of coarse ignored that too but Zanna again grabbed her chance and took it to the basket. I though she would start on the ears, they seemed to me to be such nice chewy doggy things. But I was totally wrong, they were actually eaten nearly as last. No, she started on the chopped off neck side and worked her way up, the neck, the bottom jaw, top jaw then skin and ears and then the skull. All that was left over were the teeth!!

When I finished bagging the chicken I started on the hare. I decided to give Flecha a second chance and put another head on the floor (by the way I have vinyl on the floors so it is easily cleaned) which he didn’t touch till he was really sure that there were no more munchy chicken bits to be had. He then picked up the head and went to his basket with me sneaking behind to see what he would do with it. I was sure he would eat the ears first…. But no, I was wrong again. In fact he used the ears to stand on and hold the head down while he pulled on the other end!! Quite cleaver I thought ha ha.

Again only teeth were left over.

And what about Tieka? Well she didn’t want much to do with the hare until I offered her a piece of hare hart. She liked that.

That’s usually the way the dogs experience new things. One will eat it with no problems and the others have to get used to it. I’m certain that next time all 3 will eat hare with out any problems no mater what part I offer them.

Up till now there are 2 things none of them will eat.
One is duck. Zanna did like to roll in it the first time (yuk!), but that’s was as far as she would go. Even when I tried to trick them and put a duck carcass between the chicken carcasses they would leave them. I have been extra sneaky and made mince meat out of duck liver, stomachs and necks and mixed that with chicken mince meat. This they do eat!!! Horary for the perseverance of their owner!!!!!
And the second thing is day old chickens. They are little yellow fluffy things that all 3 think are to scary to touch! Isn’t that the strangest thing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home