Sunday, February 09, 2003

The Islamic butcher is our best friend!

The dogs have never met him but I’m sure they love him. They wait in anticipation in the car while I go inside the shop.

It started one day when I finally plucked up enough courage to ask him if I could buy lambs bones from him for the dogs. I mentioned it was for the dog as other wise he may have thought I wanted choice meaty bones for myself. Well he didn’t mind at all that I asked this and said that the bones would be for free!! Gosh what luck!!

So twice a week I go to the Islamic shop which includes “our” butcher. Each time the amount of bones seems to get more! First I gave rather sparingly as to how many bones they got at each “lamb bone (plus some meat of so sort) meal”, but lately I give them generous amounts of bones to stop my freezer from becoming completely full. And let me say I have a big freezer! Not only dose the amount get more but the quality of bones as to how much meat is still left on them is getting better too. How lucky can one get??

The dogs think they are in heaven. The bones are so good to give when I have to work. Whether they are left at home to “fend for them selves” for a few hours, or that I work longer so they spend the time at “grandmas”, these bones prove the perfect solution to keep the dogs busy. They spend hours chewing and walking around swapping bones with each other. I would nearly go as far as to say that they get more exercise like this than their daily hourly walk. They gnaw and pull at the meat on the bones so hard that leg and neck mussels get a total workout. Actually they often use their whole body so also the back and hind quarters are getting a work out too. And they all have the most contended look on their face, so cute.

It’s always rather fun to go into this shop as they have all sorts of things I had never seen and tasted before. Each week I try something new, and usually something old that is just too yummy to not buy. So I get my free bones and the shop gets an extra client or two as I often take someone along with me that, like me, wants to try these “new” things too.

Oh, I get my sheep heads from there too LOL. The last time I ordered 4 of them. The butcher put them on the counter when I went to get them and a small Turkish lady looked at me in a funny but enthusiastic way and said something I couldn’t understand. I guessed she asked “what on earth do you want to do with those?” and I smiled back at her in embarrassment. The butcher told me what she actually said, which was that she really wanted a couple of heads too and if I was willing to let her have two of mine. Maybe since she lived in Holland she didn’t think it was the “done thing” to buy sheep heads and was mighty relieved to see that some Dutch idiot was buying them so it was ok for her too. LOL, well I didn’t mind at all so we shared the heads. By the way, I don’t think she bought hers for the dogs ROFL.

And now the information what most of you log in for….. Tieka. Unlike Eros’s puppies Caio’s are quiet. At least up till now. They are not moving about yet…. I spend hours with Tieka on my lap and my hands on her tummy… but nothing but a small hint of movement so I don’t dare to say for sure what I know you hope I will say. But according to the “pregnancy calendar” on the 10th this should start, so I guess I’m just being too impatient.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home