Friday, January 24, 2003

I have decide to think positive about the “Tieka being pregnant" thing and thus made a start to making a “delivery box”. In this box I put everything I may need when the pups start to arrive. So the big “start” was to buy an electronic thermometer. I already had one kept in a very safe place that I no longer can remember where it was. Oh well, they don’t cost the world and I really will need it. Also this new one is better ;-)

Taking Tieka’s temperature isn’t actually to see if she is sick, its for seeing when she most likely to give birth. About a week before that planned date I start to take her temperature so I know what her normal temperature is. Tieka’s is lower than “normal dogs”, and such things are good to know ahead of time. Then I start taking her temp. more often per day as the estimated time of birth gets closer. About 24 hours before the birth the temp. will drop a degree. Of coarse you have to take the temperature every few hours around that time as the drop is only for a short while, so you could miss it. I can tell you that once the drop has been noticed yours goes up!!! Its very exciting!

Other things in the “delivery box” are old towels. Old ones are the best as they absorb better, more pliable for such small babies, you can get a better grip of the pup if you have to help with the birth and they are in available in large quantities. Not only from myself but also given to me by family and friends.
A thing to help suck out the pups mouth should the occasion arise. Thankfully I still have the one from the first nest as I didn’t need to use it. I wonder if a pup has problems breathing if I wouldn’t first take the pup in both hands, rest its head on my “pointing” fingers hold it firmly with my thumbs and then raze my hands high and swing down fast to dislodge whatever is in the way….. but again I fortunately didn’t have to try that either.
Betadine drops to disinfect the navel cord, and what ever else should need disinfecting.
Cord to tie of a navel cord, should it be needed, again no experience with this.
Different colored nice hand made cords to tie around the neck of the puppies so you can identify them. And even this I didn’t use last time as all 4 pups had completely different markings! I was so frustrated; they were/are such nice cords made lovingly by my mother and myself LOL.
A note pad with headings of all the information I want to remember, “time of birth”, “sex”, “color”, “weight” etc. And a pen! My mother had to write this down, not so hard I thought but she was in such a panic when the pups were being born that I had to constantly remind her to write all this things down. It was very funny; her is a woman that has had 4 children who was very excited and panicky about it all. And me, no kids and never had a dog deliver pups, stay calm… well someone had to. Maybe next time I will be more nervous as now I am “wiser” and not so naive.
List of telephone numbers which I would class as “panic numbers”. I have some wonderful friends always willing to help.
I think you get the general idea of what I mean by “delivery box”.

But this is all in theory at the moment, still plenty of time…..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home